Friday 11 January 2013

The Book Thief: 5/5


This is the first book I've reviewed on here to be given 5 stars out of 5, and I can honestly say it fully deserves it. This novel manages to be funny, heartbreaking, unconventional, exciting and horribly touching all at the same time, and is firmly in place as one of my all time favourite books.

This review contains some major spoilers with regards to the plot and characters - proceed at your own risk


The Book Thief is a story about many things - death, endurance of horrific circumstances, poverty, Germany in the midst of WWII and mostly, a young girl named Liesel who ties it all together. One of the things that makes this book so unique is it's narrator, who is none other than Death himself. This is modern experimental fiction at it's best, managing to incorporate so many elements such as a non-linear narrative, a story that manages to present a neutral view of a country ravaged by the Nazi party, and a cynical, tired Grim Reaper who is by his own admission, 'haunted by humans'. It is surreal and horribly realistic at the same time, often in the same sentence, and it is this that makes it so unique.

What impressed me most about this book is that despite the non-linear style of the narrative, I was still shocked at some of the plot twists. A lot happens to Liesel and we watch her grow up in fits and starts. My favourite character in the novel was probably Hans, who acts as a rock for his foster daughter and proves himself to be a truly good man by actively resisting joining the Nazi party and even losing the respect of his own biological son because of his beliefs. I also liked Rudy for many of the same reasons, he is a fantastic character whilst managing to stay a realistic one. His love for his family is admirable and he also grows up alongside Liesel, maturing drastically before the novel's close.

I cried for a long time at the events towards the end of the story, but even though it broke my heart, it doesn't end on a terrible note. This book also has a fantastic knack for unconsciously describing itself - to quote, 'I have to say that although it broke my heart, I was, and still am, glad I was there'. 

This book may not be for you, as the style is experimental and very unconventional. But I can personally vouch that it works, so well, and I have not read any other book like it. It will stay with you for a long time afterwards, and it is not to be taken as a light, easy read just because it is aimed towards young adults. Take it seriously, go in with an open mind and be prepared to cry, and you will hopefully discover one of the best books I have read in a long time. 

I would give this book 5 stars out of 5 and I wish I could give it more

- Natalie




No comments:

Post a Comment