Friday 19 April 2013

DIY Couture: Create Your Own Fashion Collection - 4.5/5


Here's something a little different! I have to admit, when i'm not reading one of my favourite things to do is sewing, and I'm just starting to get into dressmaking (if any of you follow me on tumblr you've no doubt seen some of my recent attempts - I think I'm improving a bit?) with my brand new sewing machine. So when I saw this book being reviewed by one of my favourite fashion bloggers (the amazingly talented Stacie) I knew I just had to have it. 

This book advertises itself as 'No Patterns Needed', and certainly lives up to it's claim. Sometimes in sewing it feels like you have to be a mathematical genius to follow these massively complicated patterns, something I definitely am NOT, so it was refreshing to find a book recognizing that the traditional way isn't always the easiest for everybody. Rosie Martin's book focuses on easy to follow instructions explained fully in plain language without technical jargon, making it simple for even beginners to follow. 

DIY Couture contains detailed instructions on how to make 10 basic pieces, some simple like the straight skirt or Grecian dress, and some more complex like trousers and the hoodie. This only the beginning however, as the  book also contains eight different 'collections' showing how these 10 pieces can be customized in widely varying ways to make completely unique pieces. They show a range of wild and wonderful styles such as the neon bright 'Acid Candy', English rose classic 'Tea Picnic' and neat, clean cut 'Coffee Classic'. The aim is not to reproduce the items exactly as they are shown, but to use them as inspiration and as a starting point to make your own clothes. It is tempting however to just make some of them directly as they are, because they're just so pretty! 

The book also contains a few chapters at the beginning detailing various techniques necessary for good dressmaking, including different stitches, making pockets and a very helpful explanation of what bias tape actually is and how to make your own without one of those fancy tool things. It's somewhat complicated stuff, but explained in such a simple way that it feels like anybody could do it if they tried hard enough. 

The only complaint I would mention is minor - some techniques shown such as attaching elastic and making straps are slightly long-winded, and only show one way of doing them. I personally find it easier to do some things a slightly different way that I find easier, so it would be nice to see the author mention that not everyone will find it best to do it this exact way. Although I suppose since the book is geared towards independent creativity overall, it is implied in a way. 

I would give this book 4.5 stars out of 5

- Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment