Thursday 30 May 2013

A Feast For Crows - 3/5


So after the life damaging experience that was A Storm of Swords, I had high hopes for the next book of the series. I was aware of the geographical split and despite losing out on some of my favourite characters because of it, I was optimistic anyways. In hindsight, I think I set the bar way too high for this book and enjoyed it less as a result. There were definitely less tears though!
Pacing-wise this book is much slower, but I won't dwell on that too much as I know plenty disagree with me. As the war of kings draws to it's conclusion, ASOIAF is increasingly becoming a story about the many incredible women who populate and run Westeros, which is one of the main things I enjoyed about A Feast for Crows and the major thing I will talk about here.

Cersei is still one of my favourite characters, and I was thrilled to see so much of her character's story and overall development. House Lannister in general is definitely one of my favourites, not because I strictly like them, but i'm continually impressed with them. Jaime has to be the most changed character from the beginning of the books, and I love that I still have the feeling he has so much further to go as a character. Margery also proves herself a worthy opponent to Cersei, and I really hope we are able to get a chapter from her perspective 

Arya and Sansa - just, wow. Both of their storylines went in completely different directions than I had first anticipated. I'm not sure how I feel about Sansa's quite yet, because to be honest I would love it if she could finally just get sick of people carting her around all the time and just, overthrow the north and take back Winterfell. Or something. (I would accept Rickon as a suitable alternative because seriously, where the HELL is he??). Arya's however, blew me away. I love it so much because I honestly didn't see it coming (and no, that isn't a blind joke). I can't wait to see where it goes next. 

Brienne. Ah, Brienne. You are probably the truly nicest person in this entire series, and my heart aches for the inevitable pain and horrible death most nice characters face in this world. I wish you could just have a nice sit down and a cuddle. But nope, you end up being hanged for refusing to kill a man who you hated less than two books ago. Together, surely, Jaime and Brienne must have the most character development of anybody ever stacked up between them. 

LET'S TALK ABOUT DORNE. Although difficult to keep up with the many, many new characters and names and places (seriously, between Dorne and the Iron Islanders I spent half of my time reading AFFC looking people up in the bit at the back), I am a definite fan of Arianne and the Sand Snakes, and I just wish there wasn't so much else going on in AFFC that I could learn more about them all. Although, Arianne was supposed to marry Viserys? Well then. That changes things. 

I wasn't a huge fan of the Iron Island chapters, as I gather is a fairly popular feeling amongst book readers. I do love Asha however, she's very interesting as a character, and her efforts at the Kingsmoot were admirable. Euron creeps me out though. Actually so does Aeron. And all of the other Greyjoys. Never mind then. 

Overall I can appreciate how much of this book was built around women in and out of positions of power, but the lack of Dany and Jon seriously draws the overall enjoyment down for me. 

I would give this book 3 stars out of 5

- Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment