Thursday 7 March 2013

A Clash of Kings - 4/5


In the second book of the epic series A Song of Ice and Fire the story really starts to change from the TV series that I love so much - and actually manages to be even better. Following directly on from the ending of the first book in the series, this novel follows the many characters through a multitude of events, both good and bad (but mostly bad, let's be honest, these characters have miserable lives).
Chaos seems to be the main theme of this book. Westeros is well into a state of Civil War now, with claims to the throne popping up here there and everywhere. To recap, at this point we have the following:


  • Stannis Baratheon - the 'true' heir to the throne
  • Renly Baratheon - the next 'true' heir, after Stannis
  • Joffery Baratheon/Lannister- the actual current king, no true claim due to his being a bastard born of incest
  • Robb Stark - the 'king in the north'
  • Balon Greyjoy - the 'king' of the Iron Islands
  • Mance Rayder - the 'king beyond the wall' 
  • Daenerys Targaryan - the 'original' heir to the throne
Phew. And they're all pretty keen to start killing each other off as soon as possible, and waste no time in getting started. It's all very complicated of course, although (in a huge and very unexpected twist) Renly bows out rather soon at the hands of his brother and Mance is very noticeably absent.

If I had to put my money on any one family enduring this war with as many alive members as possible I think it would be the Lannisters. They are cruel, uncaring and vicious, but they know how to survive and they're not above lowering themselves in order to do so. Saying that, I am praying very hard for Joffery to hurry up and be murdered because GOD is he awful. I do still adore Tyrion though, and I was holding my breath after the battle until I found out he was still alive. Can I just root for him to somehow overthrow the kingdom and take over the throne? I think he'd do a pretty good job of it. I'm still fascinated by Cersei. Her motivations are very different than I originally thought, and I think in A Clash of Kings we begin to see her a bit more clearly. I still want a chapter from her perspective.

The Starks I am less optimistic for, which is unfortunate since they are my favourite family overall. Robb is doing well in battle but he is young and cocky, and I wish someone would pay Catelyn more attention already because she really needs someone to listen to her. Rickon scares me a bit. Why is his wolf always so angry? While Bran is learning how to control his dreams, what is Rickon learning? Maybe he is just pouring all his frustration and anger into Shaggydog and I can't see it ending well. I also pity Theon quite a bit - he is incredibly misguided and angry, and he just doesn't know what to do, that much is clear. I dislike him still though. Arya's and Sansa's stories are the ones that interest me most now, and I can't wait to see where they go in the future.

Let's talk about Dany, otherwise known as potentially my favourite female character in any fantasy novel ever. She is strong, clearly very frightened and AWESOME. I love her so much. She had clearly endured so much at the hands of others and she is determined to not only survive, but claim back what should have been hers by birthright. I think she would be a good Queen, if only she didn't have to get on the throne in such a violent manner. I'm rooting for her and her dragons.

Onwards to A Storm of Swords!








No comments:

Post a Comment